Makunochi Bento from Nihonkai Tsukiji
I’d like to share one of the best sellers from an authentic Japanese Restaurant at Tuscany Estates, Mckinley Hill which is called the Makunochi Bento.
Nihonkai Tsukiji is a welcome addition to the long line of restaurants along Mckinley Hill and only 1 of two restaurants that serves Japanese Cuisine (the other one is Ukokkei). They serve a variety of Japanese dishes such as sushi, maki, sashimi, tempura, ramen, katsu, donburi, udon and of course, bento boxes.
Bento is a Japanese set meal that’s already complete with rice, viand, soup and dessert. At Nihonkai Tsukiji, they offer three types of bento boxes and if you are new to their restaurant; you would probably get the Makunochi Bento as it would be the cheapest among the three and can already fill your tummy.
Makunochi (~Makunouchi) Bento as per Wikipedia definition; consists of fish, meat, pickles, eggs and vegetables along with rice and an umeboshi and that’s what we will see in their version.
- Miso Soup
- Bowl of Rice
- Sashimi Set of 2 (Tuna and Salmon) – very fresh looking but too bad that I’m not a fan of sashimi so I’d gladly give these away
- Grilled Salmon – delicious! It doesn’t have that itchy feeling nor the fishy smell
- Katsu (thinner than their regular order) – hit or miss; the first time, I didn’t mind the thinness but the 2nd time I had this, it was mostly breading.
- Tamago (Egg) – Great appetizer
- Tofu – boring on its own so be sure to soak it in the sauce it comes with
- Vegetables (eg. shredded cabbage) – nothing too fancy
All for the price of PHP 400 so you would be able to try out a lot of their dishes. This is already a great deal because the prices of their regular dishes already ranges from PHP 200-300 each!
They also have the Nihonkai Bento (PHP 700) and Nihonkai Special (PHP 980) that has more sashimi, shredded beef or pork. I asked for the difference but I forgot to take note… boo for me. So I’ll update this once I get more info.
I’d just want to repeat what I said at the start of the post. if you are new to Nihonkai, be sure to try out their bento meals to go past the decision-making on what to eat and to simply eat.
Till next time,
Nihonkai Tsukiji Japanese Restaurant
Tuscany Estate, Bldg 1, Upper McKinley Rd
McKinley Hill, Taguig
Restaurant by Location: Tuscany Estates